Monday, April 09, 2007

Dvorak violates my copyright in a most offensive way

Several people have sent me messages about this over the weekend:

From Dvorak.org:

Notice each dipshit is shooting the next guy in the foot!

For years, ATV-riding, gun-toting sport shooters have flouted gun laws in part of Idaho’s high desert by taking pot shots at ground squirrels and other animals. Now, officials say, they’re also setting their sights on National Guard tanks that train in the area.

The federal Bureau of Land Management is considering expanding the gun-restricted area by 41,000 acres to try to limit shootings at Idaho Army National Guard troops who report slugs bouncing off their tanks on a regular basis.

Their dad

“There’s a segment of the shooting community that will shoot at anything that moves,’’ said John Sullivan, the area’s manager.

“It’s like World War III on the weekends,’’ he said.

Ah, the price of freedom.

Initially I wasn't going to do anything about it, but when I re-read the thing I was a bit pissed. Plus, Gordon Greene has had his image abused enough.

Anyway I just sent this off to john@dvorak.org since they've disabled webmaster and postmaster.

Sirs,

I initially sent this to webmaster@dvorak.org and postmaster@dvorak.org; however your spam filter is set to reject messages to those addresses. It is an important administrative convention that these addresses receive mail; so that administrators of other sites may contact your site in the event of an incident or emergency.

The photographs used in this post:

http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=10782

Are copyrighted (specifically "Teaminfidel 1" is copyright Chris Byrne, 2005; and "gunnut" is copyright Gordon Greene, 2001), and used without permission. Additionally Teminfidel1 is hotlinked without permission (commonly known as bandwidth stealing).

Honestly, I have no problem with the use of the infidel picture in the appropriate context. Blogs by their very nature are referential, and I believe fair use covers the use of such images in appropriate context. I don't much care that the picture is used in an offensive way here in general; however the pictures used have nothing to do with the post in question.

Actually, specifically though, I am rather angry that it has been implied that I shot at national guardsmen. I am retired Air Force officer myself; and served my country honorably for 8 years. I am sure Mr. Greene, a serious long range competitive shooter, and collector of obscure high powered rifles; would be similarly offended by the use of his image.

If you would please remove the pictures in question, it would be appreciated.

Thank you

Chris Byrne
Given what seems to be their general attitude, and the fact that they don't even obey the most basic netiquette; I doubt I'll see a response.

Course if they don't take it down immediately on notice of copyright... and then theres the libelous aspect... Maybe I should sue John Dvorak, just for being an ass.

UPDATE: I take back all of my comments about lack of responsiveness, and being an ass. I just got a personal reply from John Dvorak, apologizing for using the picture, and removing the post.